Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Particulars

I found this little Christmas questionnaire and decided to join in!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Both, but I could drink hot chocolate by the gallons and egg nog in sips only.

2.Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa was never a real figure in our house, but the presents are definitely wrapped!

3. Colored lights on house/tree or white?
White, but when I was a child we always had colored lights. I about had a cow, when around age 16, my mom tried to add some sophistication to our tree with white lights. Now, I love them!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, I don't need a reason to kiss my sweet husband.

5.When do you put your decorations up?
Usually on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but this year it was on a Friday evening. We don't have a ton, just enough to appear holiday-ey. A tree and decorations, stockings, and a table centerpiece.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Probably ham. I'm obsessed with it. You can imagine how hard my time was when I worked at a Jewish-Kosher camp.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Christmas morning in general. Having to lay still and quiet in bed until a semi appropriate time, run out and wake up my sister, get anything around for my parents that we could (coffee, toast, juice,) and stare in wonder at the presents that my parents had added during the night. It was always a magical time during the dawn of Christmas morning.

8.When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I think I was 2 or 3. Whenever my sister started questioning it, they just went ahead and told me as well. Santa was always a make believe character that, in telling stories and singing songs about him, seemed to just add a little more sparkle. But he wasn't the bringer of presents. And I'm glad that's how I was raised. It made me more grateful for all of the sacrifices my parents were making.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes, pajamas every year.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Lights, then "cranberry" strands, matching sets of ornaments, then mismatch of ornaments. We don't have a tree topper yet, but back at my parents' house, my sister and I took turns every year putting on our angel.

11. Snow. Love it or dread it?
Only time I ever saw snow was when I was in the Middle East, visiting Ian. I liked it alot. Until I realized that I had no real closed toed shoes. How do you say "oh crap," in Arabic?

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes, and I love it! I can't really do any tricks, but I am very fast. One year my cousin fell and got his face sliced open. Still never deterred me.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
My American Girl Bitty Baby. Man did I love that thing. Ask anyone. I loved her and loved her and loved her. And I would get 1-2 outfits every year for like 4 years and all of that is saved in a hope chest for my daughter. One day she will love her a bitty baby as well. Perhaps I should send my doll in to get cleaned up and repaired. It's just a thought.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you?
Jesus. And spending time with the family and just enjoying each other.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
My Momma's molasses cookies. Delicious!


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Reading of the Christmas story on Christmas eve on the couch with my sister and dad, with my mom watching and taking pictures.

17. What tops your Christmas tree?
Nothing here at the apartment, but at home it was an angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Definitely giving, and I am not just saying that! I love finding someone the PERFECT gift that is just going to make their day. Plus, I love wrapping.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Little Town of Bethlehem -reminds me of the simpleness of Christmas. And Carol of the Bells- it is SO beautiful.

20. Candy Canes. Yum or Yuck?
I think yum, but very rarely do I eat the whole thing. Usually I eat the straight part, but when I get to the hook it gets too messy and I give up.

21. What do you want for Christmas?
My dream gift would be a subscription to People magazine, but that is like 120 dollars so that isn't going to happen. Ian and I really want a Wii, but we'll see. With no job, I am not expecting much and that's okay.

22. Do you attend an annual Christmas party?
No, still developing traditions of our own first.

23. Do you dress up for Christmas Eve or wear PJ's?
We dress up for church and then wear pajamas at home.

24. Do you own a Santa hat?
Uh, I don't think so. I wasn't called "fat head," for most of my childhood for no reason. I'd have to buy a jumbo one and that would just look ridiculous.

25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with?
My Mom, my Dad, and my sister, Heather. And now, with my wonderful husband, Ian, and his parents and brothers.

No comments: