Monday, January 19, 2009

Blogging Book Goal- Book #3

I feel like I am on a definite roll here, with the book reading, but that could quickly come to a halt with a difficult or long book on the forecast.

And I am trying really hard to make it so that there is not more than a week between book postings. But, for instance, since I am writing about #3, and I have already finished #4, but won't be writing about THAT one until Thursday, I will have more than a week for #5, which I hope will be long enough, because it's a doozy!

Before I talk about my #3, let me remind you to go on over to Bound to Books and vote on which book you want for book club. Voting ends on Wednesday!

Book #3

Freakanomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Now, I am not really a non-fiction kind of girl, but, as an educator, I know how important it is to diversify your reading genres. And since Ian is a total nonfiction kind of boy, I have plenty of option. I, of course, chose to read his Christmas present, which is this book. He hasn't gotten to it yet.

Muah ha ha ha.

Right. Not evil. I was just interested in reading it while he was preoccupied with other literature.

So, I sat down to read a book about economic and statistical issues, all pertaining to (gasp) math! Which, if you know me at all, you too would be shocked, seeing as this is my least favorite subject.

Well, it was a really easy read, and if you have only a basic understanding of statistics you would understand it too! He covers some interesting topics (how are Sumo wrestlers and teachers alike?) and is written in a manner that is super easy to read through. I finished this one in three days.

My one complaint is this: Now, I am not a math genius by any means, but I do remember this one statement from AP Statistics : Correlation does not prove Causation. Fancy terms for "just because two things SEEM to be connected does not necessarily mean one causes the other."

I think the author forgot this key fact in several places, (even though he quotes that statement several times saying he wants to stay away from it,) in order to have more of a WOW factor in his book. I would have to read through it a second time in order to be certain of this, which I don't much feel like doing right now. Maybe another time.
I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to broaden their reading genres and who has a sense of humor. It's pretty witty.

No comments: