Saturday, March 21, 2009

Blogging Book Goal- Book #8


This book has kind of a funny story behind it.


You see, on Sunday, when finishing reading the book "East of Eden," I was talking to my friend Courtney about which book I would read next. I was having trouble deciding, besides the fact that I knew I wanted to read a non fiction book. After getting off the phone with her, and perusing our home library, I found a book that reminded me of Courtney.


Last spring, we were both in our internship at an Orlando elementary school together, and every day, at the end of the school day, she would be out on the bench waiting for the girl she carpooled with. Sometimes she would be on the phone, other times she would be grading papers, and then sometimes she would be reading. I remember her reading this one book "Praise Habit," by David Crowder (as in, the David Crowder Band,) and I remember her talking about it.


So, I chose that book! Because, hello! If one of my closest friends likes it, chances are, I'll probably like it.


Well.

Hmm.

Two days in, and I kept thinking "I love his music, but this dudes mind is WEIRD!"


So finally, I broked down and messaged her asking what she thought of it.


She told me she never read that book.

Hmmm.

So I messaged back asking what she read last spring.


And, when checking her response at our desk today, (she read "Don't Waste Your Life," by John Piper,) I literally leaned to the right of my screen to look at the bookshelf against the wall, and saw...right next to where I pulled Praise Habit out of, the book "Don't Waste Your Life."


I really should have read that book.


Because I think I just wasted four days of my life.


That's all I have to say about this book. I don't really recommend it. Maybe, perhaps, as a secondary reference or source for when you are studying your way through Psalms (it looks at 20 something psalms and he discusses them,) but, it is a strange book.


For example:

In the appendix there is a pictoral timeline of nuns through the ages.

And a picture of Peeps.

And he writes the entire lyrics for "Gilligans Island," and asks you to sing along.


.....

I did, in case you are wondering.

Just to, ya know, keep with the spirit of things.

Ian thought I had completely lost my marbles.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Too funny, Britt! Now I have the Gilligan's Island tune running around in my brain! It's kinda like the tune to Small World at Disney...once someone mentions it...it's there like long, chewed on gum! Don't worry...if Ian thinks you're strange now...he has yet to see how weird women can get! We are at our lunatic best when we go through pregnancy, early-motherhood (heck motherhood in general, and menopause...which I hear is a real trip through the wacky ward)! At least you're entertaining! Love ya!

Kristin said...

That is hilarious. I'm currently readying "Theology of the Body" by Christopher West. It's basically him explaining Pope John Paul II's "theology of the body". He rambles a lot, but makes good points. My dad recommended the book, so if he read it, it has to be good! It's just kind of tough to get through West's rambling!

Too funny on singing Gilligan!

OlyviaNoel said...

Funny story! Peeps and nuns? Strange...

Kaylyn said...

I am sad this book is getting a bad rating... :( I want to read it eventually, love David Crowder!

Anonymous said...

I purchased that book at a Passion conference and was totally thrown off by it as well. I think I started reading it on the bus ride home from either Atlanta or Nashville, but never finished. It's still on my bookshelf. :)I do, however, want to read the book by John Piper. I think I might steal it from my momma.
I love you friend!

Unknown said...

It certainly sounds a little odd maybe that is why it also sounds intrgiuing.

Anonymous said...

I like how you sang along to the Gilligan's Island...haha Way to commit!!!!