Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Europe Revisited- Part Three- Paris

Oh La LA!

Our third leg of our journey in Europe was a quick stop in Paris.

UMmmmm.

Literally.

We were in Paris for a little under 24 hours.

And, because I had stopped taking some of my medicine, I became VERY sick during this little part. Until I learned to take my medicine, of course.


At a restaurant, before leaving for Paris, I was all about the city of love, after all, I had studied French for 4 years and I was excited to be in the place I had learned so much about! Ummmm, and this is the picture I drew on my napkin.

Atop the Eiffel Tower. We weren't really supposed to go up. They gave us an hour to explore the grounds, but, by golly! I had come to Paris and I was going to go to the top. I am pretty sure we were all stressed out here, when we were thinking our bus had left us.


A view of the city from up top.




Funny little warning sign in the elevator that takes you up and down.


The Eiffel Tower



It was so neat to see! Hmmm. I thought I was taking a picture of the famous "Sacre-Couer," or Sacred Heart church. Instead, I took a picture of "Les Invalides," a war veteran hospital. Darn it.




Next stop: The Louvre



One of our group mates became ill and we had to wait for him in one of the galleries for awhile.




Now, hopefully you have read about THIS debaccle, and these pictures (and the limited amount of them,) won't surprise you one bit!




What a beautiful ceiling, right?



Then we became a little lost, and both of these pictures are some of my favorite! That's me in the black dress/shrug. The picture below shows me giving one of my looks of disgust/annoyance/superiority to my good friend, Ben.





Welcome to Notre Dame! And not in Indiana either. It was a Catholic holiday of some sorts, and the Cardinal was their performing a ceremony. Pretty neat to see!


The outside of Notre Dame

Oh, I just love sculpture work.


And this was some of my favorite! The details on these were spectacular, and I literally wanted to stand and stare outside instead of going inside!



The outside, once more. It doesn't look like the Disney movie very much, does it?



The following morning, we visited the home and sculpture garden of the famous artist Rodin.



His most famous statue, in the background here, is "The Thinker."


The gardens were absolutely beautiful, and were a great way to start our morning out!



The Thinker, with "Les Invalides," in the background.


Our chaperonnes were planning their daughter's wedding, and kept taking pictures of different flowers in order to get ideas for her flowers! It made me laugh.



Like I said. I really really really like sculptures.




Alot.
And that was the end of it! In 24 hours, we barely got to dip into the cultural history that Paris has to offer! I definitely want to go back and give it another chance, because I came away feeling like there wasn't much there, but I know that is just because of how rushed we were.

6 comments:

Callie said...

Oo, I liked the first picture of the base of the Eiffel tower - with all the flowers - so pretty! Nice photography!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Of fun! I just loved reading this post and your pictures! Only six weeks and I'll be in Paris!

Marsha C said...

So many wonderful things to read about. I love getting caught up on reading your blog. Have a wonderful day! I love ya! Momma

Emily said...

Awesome pictures, Britt!! I am pea green with envy that you've been to Europe! I've always wanted to go- especially to study the art! I have to say that you look great in the pictures in spite of the fact that you were terribly sick. I'm sorry you went through that part! Thanks for sharing your adventure- it makes my day! Love ya lots!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Those are some pretty awesome pics. I hope to go there someday

Unknown said...

Notre Damn is my favourite site in Paris! I just thought it was esquisite! X.