Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Power Rangers!

I am finally feeling some motivation! Or, maybe, Ian and I are at Sam's house and the boys are watching basketball, and I seriously loathe basketball. Ian does too, but he is good at faking. Me, not so much.

So, with a flip of my hair and a look of disgust, I have sequestered myself in Sam's room with his Mac.

(as a side note, I seriously loathe Macs as well, but whatev.)

I thought I would share a little memory with you. It brings chuckles/tears to me everytime I recall it.

It was 1994, and I was in second grade. Let me preface the story by telling you Power Rangers were all the rage, but I wasn't allowed to watch it for some reason, (why mom, why?!)

We were out on our wooded playground, doing our second grade thing during recess. The kids decided to play "Power Rangers," and I, wanting to play too, joined in.

We were all standing in a circle, and one by one, kids were placing dibs on the character they would portray.

"I'll be the white power ranger!"
"I'll be the black power ranger!"
"I'll be the pink power ranger!"

Then, fate stepped in as I opened my big, fat, uninformed mouth....

"I'll be the purple power ranger!"

Crickets could be heard.
Every face in the crowd turned and looked at me.
Then, some smarty pants spoke up with his most serious tone....

"Brittney, there IS no purple ranger."

Mortified, I dashed into the woods and hid behind a tree for the rest of recess.

I never tried to play power rangers again.

Seriously folks! It's funny, don't feel bad for me, though, when recalling it, I will sometimes feel the rush of emotions lil ol' me felt way back then.


5 comments:

katie said...

Aww! I'm sorry. I never watched Power Rangers, so I easily could have made that very mistake today.

And I loathe basketball. But not nearly as much as I loathe football. During football season, it takes over my living room, my husbands life, the laundry (he and his buddies get together and play!) and it makes me crazy!

Kristin said...

That's okay! Reminds me of a time when I was in the 2nd grade and I was coloring with a few boys in my class. God forbid I colored a ninja turtle the wrong color!! It was a sad day for me.

Callie said...

Oh, I'm sorry too (though I'm saying that with a chuckle in my throat). I must say the story made me laugh, because it sounds like something I would do! And isn't it funy how little embarrassments like that are such a big deal when you're in elementary school? I hav emany a story myself. If it makes you feel better, I wasn't allowed to watch Power Rangers either.

Marsha C said...

Because it was a wierd, violent cartoon. We watched things like McGee & Me and Adventures in Odyssey, Floppy Dogs and Disney stuff. If I had been there when it happened I would have told my Baby Bear that she could be what ever color Power Ranger she wanted to be. I like purple!!! Love ya!

Jessica said...

lol...my sister and I weren't allowed to watch Power Rangers either! (Apparently it was too violent :-P) I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you, though!