Thursday, May 6, 2010

Arab Food

YUM.

That's all I'm going to say.

Except you know me better than that and you know that there is always more words to be said, right?

I love Arab/Middle Eastern food.

Which is good, because I'm, you know, moving there and all.

And if you are saying to yourself "Yeah, I like hummus too!" Please, just hush and listen.

Middle Eastern food is OH so simple.

Grilled Meats, usually "sweet," meats. Cinnamon, Cardamum, Cumin.
It's all good.
and apparently "C," centric.


I'm still becoming accustomed to whole chick peas.
To be honest, they kind of freak me out.
Something about the thought of tiny chickens inside of that pea.
...
I KNOW that there aren't tiny chickens, but still!

What's great is that every country has about the same type of dishes, but they all call them slightly different things.

Ha!

But this Meat (below,) is my favorite. It's like a ground beef Kabob with wonderfulness mixed in.

*Heaven*
PLEASE, if you've never tried Middle Eastern food, look up a place in your phone book and GO right away! (Look for a Lebanese, Iraqi, Moroccan, or Jordanian place to avoid the Greek crossover found in other Mediterranean restaurants.)

So, what's your favorite Ethnic food?

7 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE tabouleh,(I don't know how to spell it)! On my husband's Peruvian side...I love to eat empanadas! Again, I'm bad at spelling it! You're pictures are making me hungry! I could seriously eat a whole plateful of those ground beef kabobs...we have friends who are Turkish, and they have made all of those dishes for us...it is heavenly! At least it's not as bad for you as some of my favorite deep south dishes...oh how I miss fried chicken and homemade biscuits...the real deal, not fast food! Not good for my heart or my butt size!

Heather said...

oh my word, that food looks incredible!! Yummy, thanks for sharing these pictures now I want to go overseas!!

chloƫ. said...

mmm that looks good!

i've never had middle eastern food, but my husband LOVES any cuisine that is foreign to our tastebuds and super ethnic. i will have to do some research to find a place around here!

Marsha C said...

Dad says his is baby back ribs from a restaurant in Lebanon (TN that is) called Famous Daves. That would be North American Middle TN Lebanese. HA!

Kate said...

Oooh! We went to a Turkish place when we were in DC a few weeks ago. We had this delicious dip made with yogurt and cucumbers with fresh pita bread. So delicious!

Jessica said...

I am guilty of not trying new foods enough, and I've never had any Middle Eastern food, really...I should try it!

Callie said...

Oh, that looks good! I love Japanese food. I've never tried Middle Eastern food though - I'll have to give it a shot!