Friday, November 12, 2010

Off Roading

A couple of weekends ago, some friends and us when on a little excursion (more on that later.) But, to get to our location, we had to do a little "off roading," first!

Now, it technically was a grated path, but I think it will be as off roading as you can get in these mountain ranges, as the rocks are made up of crumbled, eroded stone, ground into a fine pulp. So, if you tried to go, say, straight up a mountain, I'm not sure you'd get far before the entire top layer of rocks started an avalanche, taking you down with it.

We got some beautiful shots of this new place that I call "home," now.


The green amidst all of the brown is a wadi, or valley, with an oasis and spring. Which was our final destination for our outing.

This last shot reminds me of the mountain in The Lord of The Rings near Mordor. Or, like my friend said, like the barren waste land you'd expect to see somewhere in hell. But, it was a beautiful barren. Full of history and hidden spots of life.

Funny that when I first got here, I was absolutely disgusted by how ugly the landscape was. Now, I think its beautiful. The way the light creates shadows along the peak lines. The thought that this land was {probably} the land of Job, from the Bible. That this could have also been the home to one of the magi, or "wise men," who brought Frankencense to Christ after His birth.

How beautiful.

It brought to my mind the song "I Can Sing of Your Love Forever," by Delirious, and totally changes my mental pictures of "mountains," and "river,":

Over the mountains and the sea,
Your river runs with love for me,
and I will open up my heart
and let the Healer set me free.
I'm happy to be in the truth,
and I will daily lift my hands:
for I will always sing of when
Your love came down. [Yeah!]

I could sing of Your love forever,
I could sing of Your love forever,
I could sing of Your love forever,
I could sing of Your love forever. [Repeat]

Oh, I feel like dancing -
it's foolishness I know;
but, when the world has seen the light,
they will dance with joy,
like we're dancing now.

3 comments:

Rachel and John said...

lovely! And I love that song.

Alison said...

Wow!! Amazing pictures!!

Jessica said...

It really is beautiful...and so cool to think that you are walking where people like Job or the Magi could have walked!