Friday, April 15, 2011

Reads.

Today at Kelly's Korner is Show Us Your Life Fridays and since the topic is something near and dear to my heart (books!) I decided to join in.

First, let me tell you that this Friday (which, in the Middle East acts like a Saturday since the weekend is Friday/Saturday,) we've done absolutely nothing! Grace's sleep schedule was way off but we got 2 four hour shifts in before we started our day and then we spent the whole morning and afternoon on the couch, napping, watching tv, reading blogs before settling down to watch the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings while a sand/wind storm kicked up into high gear outside. What an amazing movie! I haven't seen it in probably 2 or 3 years and I'm always so impressed! My parents got us all three on Blu-Ray so I'm sure we'll be watching the other two soon.

All of that to say that, no, I have never read the Lord of the Rings.

{hanging my head in shame}

But here is what I have been reading: (all images from Amazon.com)

Just Finished:


Crucial Conversations{an awesome book for any person, whether for business or just family interpersonal dynamics! I'm an avoider and stuffer and this book was perfect for helping me learn how to address issues that I would typically need to confront but, well, I avoid them! I'll reread it in a year or two to brush up on what I learned!}

Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
{Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series are my guilty pleasure reads. I've ventured to a few of her other non series books but they are not as clean as the Shopaholic series is. Also, if you saw the movie, please don't judge the books based off of that! I was so disappointed in the movie and I LOVE the books. They make me actually laugh out loud the entire time!}

Reading Now:


Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

{Oi. Vey. This one is taking me forever to read. I've written several times about the holes in my literary education pertaining to all things classical literature, and I've been working on filling in those holes. I thought for sure that I should tackle a Charles Dickens book, since I haven't read anything by him since A Christmas Carol in 2009. It's really good, it's just really slow going!}

Live Fearlessly: A Study in the book of Joshua
{I started this study while living in Vancouver, Canada, last summer, but when we packed and moved here, it got lost in a sea of books and clothes and I just started it back up. I love how this study is written and how it is very thought provoking with out being time intensive or requiring videos or discussion groups.}

Next up to Read:

(I know a bit in advance what my options are to read next are, since we don't have an English bookstore in this town, and the big town next to us has limited options. That means we have to drive the 2 hours to the big city to stock up on books or have people ship us them!

Bringing up Girls by Dr. James Dobson{My parents, who raised two daughters, recommended and gifted this book to us. I'm sure alot of it won't come into play for awhile, but I'll read through it once now to get an idea of when I need to reread it, if that makes sense!}

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

{Love the broadway musical, love the movie, now I want to see how closely they stick to their literary counterpart!}

Love & Respect

{A Sunday School class in the States sent us a care package with a bunch of date night and marriage things (movies, candy, games, marriage books,) and this was one of them! I've heard such good things about this book and I figure after having a baby and having our family dynamics change might be a good time to spend on our marriage!}

What are you reading?

6 comments:

Heather said...

I am really interested in that Joshua book. The Shopaholic books crack me up too. :)

Jessica Boucher said...

I am actually reading Great Expectations too and it is going really slow as well, but mainly because of lack of time...

Mrs. Lukie said...

Love love love Love & Respect! It's a book we read in the first few months of marriage, and I'm not even kidding you, it changed our marriage completely--for the better :)

I am hoping to revisit it again closer to Baby L's arrival date, as little refresher.

Curious to hear what you think of it, when you've finished it.

Kaylyn said...

We are currently reading Bringing Up Girls....AHHH! I just LOVE it! Mainly because Brent is learning so much about us females and it has given him different eyes towards his daughters, I feel like he understands them a bit more now. LOVE this book!!!!

Erin Branscom said...

I want to read Bringing up girls! :) I am such a bookworm! ha!
Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Love your blog! I am following you!

Jessica said...

You will love Love and Respect! It was an excellent book