Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Well, It's Pretty Short

I woke up this morning and decided to cut my hair. On my own.

If only the story was as simple as that.

I haven't gotten a haircut in over two years. Occasionally I have trimmed my own ends (curly hair is pretty forgiving,) but my layers had all grown out and the back was uneven. And the length? Ridiculously long.

And with curly hair, you must strike a balance between being too short, when your hair would poof out into something resembling an afro and being too long, with the weight making your curls loose their bounce.

So about a week ago I decided to strike out and find a salon. All I found were countless recommendations to go to fancy hotel spas that charge over 100 dollars for a haircut. And that is not really in the budget for us.

Then I found a hair stylist who was cutting hair in her home and after getting over my fear that she was a murderer (after all, all the people recommending her had made it out alive,) I left a message to schedule an appointment, but she never got back to me.

Last night, before heading to bed, I told Ian that today would be haircut day, and that he would be my hairstylist.

So, that is exactly what we did. Both girls went down for a nap and Ian came in to cut my hair. I made the first cut though, to give him a guideline of where to start, and I cut off about 4 inches. I probably should have only cut off 3. We carried on though, with Ian cutting the bottom, middle, and top layer and then me taking over to do the angled pieces around my face.

It looks good, but it is SHORT.

You know when Anne Shirley, from Anne of Green Gables dyes her hair and then has to get it cut off to save it. Yeah. My hair is that short.

I haven't had it this short since I was in the 11th grade. In fact, before we cut my hair I told Ian that I didn't want to get it cut too short because my 11th grade cut  was highly unattractive. His only response was, "Yeah, it did not look good!"

Thanks honey.

I guess I'm glad he's honest?

He likes the new cut though, so that is a positive out of this whole thing.

I'll like it in a day or two, when my curls relax and I gain another half inch or so.

Until then, I'll take solace in the fact that if Anne Shirley survived, so can I.

6 comments:

Alison H said...

I can't believe you posted a whole entry about your haircut and how short it is and DID NOT post a picture! Come on! Get in front of that camera, sister! I wanna see it!

Justine said...

Ohmygosh! There is no way I would let my husband cut my hair... Haha :) Show us a picture! :)

Justine said...

Ohmygosh! There is no way I would let my husband cut my hair... Haha :) Show us a picture! :)

Callie said...

I want to see!

Cara said...

"Until then, I'll take solace in the fact that if Anne Shirley survived, so can I." I love it. :D

Lyndsey said...

Yep I agree with everyone else, you can't tell a story like that and not show a picture! And also, now I feel like I need to see Anne of Green Gables!